This issue continues the series exclusive to AMUST on the 99 divine attributes of Allah.
Read previous parts at www.goo.gl/L1wvP2
96. Al-Baqi – The Everlasting
Everyone upon it [i.e., the earth] will perish,1
And there will remain the Face of your Lord, Owner of Majesty and Honour.
So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny?2
Whoever is within the heavens and earth asks Him; every day He is in [i.e., bringing about] a matter.3
So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny?4
We will attend to you, O prominent beings.5
So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny?6
O company of jinn and mankind, if you are able to pass beyond the regions of the heavens and the earth, then pass. You will not pass except by authority [from God].7
So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny?
- This whole piece is to convey two key realities to the Jinn and humans. Firstly, that neither are you immortal nor are your communities non-decaying. Immortality and non-decaying only pertains to Almighty Allah on whose greatness this whole universe is giving evidence because of whom you two have got the blessings and advantages. If any one become intoxicated with pride then it is their own meanness.
The second reality is that no one else you consider to be your diety will be your mushkilku sha, difficulty remover or fulfiller of your requirement. These ordinary people do themselves require the fulfilment of their necessities and acquirements. Their hands are already spread for begging and then how can they fulfil your difficulties without fulfilling their own difficulties?
2. The use of the Arabic word ‘Ala’ has been used in conjunction with mortal creatures and he or she boasts and belies if not by language then at least by action the Greatness and Exaltedness of the Nourisher and Sustainer of the worlds.
3. In this Universe there is a continuous system of workability and Almighty Allah is creating numerous communities and things with different shapes and attributes. The whole world does not remain in one condition; the conditions continuously change and the Creator of the universe arranges them in new forms and figures which are different at different times.
4. Here the comprehension of the words of Allah is most suitable for the attributes. Anyone who attaches any kind of blasphemy to any person it pertains to belie the attributes of Almighty Allah. For example if it is said that so and so person has removed my sickness it means that they think Allah is not the efficacious but that person is the cause of the remedy. Similarly, the blasphemy contradicts the Attributes of Allah.
5. In Arabic, the main word used is thaqalan. Thaqal is attached to a burden which is laid upon any ride. Then the word translation of thaqalain is the two heavy burdens used for two species Jinn and human. As they live on this earth and those who do not accept the surrender and servitude of the sustainer then are addressed as the burdens on the earth.
The creator is pointing both to the underserved groups of people ‘Oh people who have become the burden on earth I am going to be free from your burden’
It does not mean that Allah is so busy that He does not have time to examine His disobedient servants. Actually, it means that Allah has fixed a particular time sheet on the basis of which He is going to consider the enquiry of humans and Jinns. But now the time is so near that in another way He will become free to take the account of these two types. This deprivation of time is because Almighty Allah has made a scheme of dealing with different type of people and therefore He tells clearly that He is not free to carry out the work at this time.
6. Here the term Ala has been used to mean nature to keep the continuity. Both meanings are correct. First meaning is that today you are thankless to the Graces and Blessings of Allah and being totally involved in blasphemy and partnership and atheism and disobedience. Thus, totally indulging in ingratitude and attributing the result to accidents or the fruit of your capability or the favour of some small god or saint and so you consider the resurrection as an impossible event. Then when you shall be brought towards the enquiry those things you refute are proven to you, you shall find out how you contradicted the nature of Allah.
7. The words earth and heavens has been considered as the universe or in other words the divinity of Allah. Hence this verse means that it is not in your control to save yourself from the clutches of Allah. The information that has been given to you for the enquiry shall be at such a time and place that if you are caught red handed then it will be very difficult for you to escape from the divinity of Allah and therefore it is not in your purview. So, no matter how much you try you will not be able to save yourself from the punishment of Allah.
Continued in AMUST issue #140 July.