Intricate patterns and prehistoric literature along carefully constructed walls, sturdy pillars, the sweet smell of musk, soft artisan rugs under every footstep, friendly faces and a
Victorian mosques will open their doors and hearts to the public of all beliefs to strengthen community spirit, build better relationships with neighbours and breakdown misconceptions about Islam.
Hundreds of Victorians are expected to head down to their local mosques on Sunday, May 7 2017 as part of Islamic Council of Victoria’s new state initiative Victorian Mosque Open Day – funded by the Victorian Multicultural Commission and Victorian Government (Office of Multicultural Affairs and Social Cohesion)
ICV President Mohamed Mohideen said although mosques were foremost a place of worship for Muslims they are also a place of community harmony and a support network.
“We want the Victorian community to look beyond what is portrayed of Muslims and build dialogue and friendships while sharing mutual respect and understanding.”
Members of the local Islamic community will hold free-guided mosque tours with refreshments, offer introductory discussions about Islamic beliefs and the positive role Muslims and mosques play in Australian society.
There are an estimated 200,000 Muslims currently living in Victoria and over 476,291 nationwide, have you met one?
Only through getting to know one another on a personal level can people of different beliefs build bridges of understanding and tolerance. People of all faiths, no faith, nationality and gender are welcome to attend and meet their Muslim neighbours.
“The best of friends in the sight of Allah (Most High) is the one who is best to his friend, and the best of neighbours in the sight of Allah (Most High) is the one who is best to his neighbour.” [at-Tirmidhi]
The following mosques and Islamic communities will open their doors on the day;
• Benevolence Australia – 125 George St, Doncaster East
• Albanian Mosque (Albanian Australian Islamic Society of Carlton North) – 765 Drummond St, Carlton North
• City Mosque – 66-68 Jeffcott St, Melbourne West
• Doncaster Mosque (Umma Centre) – 72 George St, Doncaster East
• Elsedeaq Heidelberg Mosque – 32 Elliott St, Heidelberg Heights
• Emir Sultan Mosque – 139 Cleeland St, Dandenong
• Gippsland Australian Muslim Community – Federation University of Australia Room 1N105 Northways Road, Churchill
• Hallam Mosque (IEWAD) – 131-133 Belgrave-Hallam Rd, Narre Warren
• Islamic Association of Monash Mosque – 16 Beddoe Ave, Clayton
• Islamic Society of Ballarat Mosque – 116 Elsworth Street East, Ballarat
• Meadow Heights Mosque – ICMG – 15 Hudson Circuit, Meadow Heights
• Preston Mosque – Islamic Society of Victoria – 90 Cramer St, Preston
• Quba Mosque – Serenity Foundation – 250 Hume Highway, Somerton
• Thomastown Mosque – 124/130 Station St, Thomastown
• Virgin Mary Mosque – 143A Hogans Road, Hoppers Crossing
Find your nearest participating mosque and keep up to date with the Victorian Mosque Open Day here.
For any further enquiries, please contact Victorian Mosque Open Day Project Manager Bahriye Bol-Apak – email: [email protected] | Mob: 0432 572 163
(Sunday) 10:00 am - 4:00 pm