Practise these self-care strategies and have faith that Allah has put you to this and He will put you through it and give you what is best for you and your Deen, Inshallah.
- Self-Compassion- blame keeps one stuck in the past. Live “through” the pain and grow from it to be better and to move on with hope and faith. Blaming causes further pain and anguish. Express gratitude for everything, even those experiences that were painful. Thank Allah for helping you survive them. Thank Allah for making you stronger and wiser.
- Re-visit your life’s purpose and dreams – write down your dreams or goals and envision the best life for yourself. Now that you have started a new chapter in life, use your energy into realising your purpose.
- Talk it out but don’t gossip- speak to positive people and a trusted professional about your feelings. Let things out and unburden, instead of bad-mouthing your ex-spouse. Refrain from talking all day, every day about your breakup to different members of the family and relative circle. This inevitably turns into a gossip session.
- Eat, pray, sleep, exercise- keep focussing on the daily basics of life. Eat healthy meals on time, engage in daily exercise so that your body releases endorphins, the “happy hormones,” sleep for at least 6 hours, and be sure to commit to daily prayers, dhikr, and silent moments of reflection.
- Tahajjud salah and silence- try getting up for Tahajjud salah as much as you can. This will help you overcome any kind of confusion you may be going through regarding your separation or divorce. After your Tahajjud salah, ask Allah the questions you need answered and sit in silence. Have faith that He will give you wisdom, signs, and inspiration to make choices that will be good for you and your Deen.
- Start learning something new- whether it is a new craft or a new language, now is a good time to start learning something new. This will help you keep your mind engaged in something productive instead of allowing your mind to dwell on the past and bring about anxiety for an imagined future.
- Rearrange your room and de-clutter your living space- the movement of energy and positive vibrations in the home are vital. Create a space for yourself which will be your sanctuary. Rearrange furniture and add new colours in order to breathe new life into your home, filling it with light and joy.
- Detox your body daily - one of the best strategies for detoxing your body is to drink water and excrete toxins from your body. When your body repairs and replenishes from the inside, your immunity and overall health improves.
- Daily awareness practice – perform a 3 to 5 minute body scan meditation activity. This daily exercise of the mind brings about clarity and awareness.