The NSW MP Shaoquett Moselmane, who was the target of radio shock jocks earlier this year and a police raid under full lime light of the media in June, has been back at the parliament house and his membership of the Labor Party was restored on Thursday 12 November after he was absolved of being the target of any foreign influence plot.
“I am delighted to be back at Parliament serving the people of NSW,” Mr Moslemane said.
He further added, “I am ready to continue the fight for our underprivileged, our multicultural and Aboriginal communities and to work hand-in-hand with my Labor colleagues and our unions to fight for a fair wage structure and a safe work environment,” he said.
“I am also thrilled to be back in the party that I love most, the Australian Labor Party,” Mr Moslemane later added.
NSW Labor Opposition Leader, Jodi McKay called for the suspension to be lifted and that was promptly complied officially by the Labor Party on Thursday 12 November.
“I met with Mr Moselmane in my office and he has provided me with a record of the interview in his home during a police raid in June,” she said.
“This document states he is not a suspect in an investigation by Australian Federal Police,” Ms McKay concluded.
Mr Moselmane was suspended from the party after AFP and ASIO raided his Sydney home and parliamentary office in June this year while seeking information relating to allegations of a foreign influence plot.
At the time, Ms McKay described reports that Mr Moselmane’s office had allegedly been infiltrated by Chinese government agents as “dreadfully concerning”.
Mr Moselmane has been critical of the fact his close relationship with China has come under the microscope.
On his return to parliament in October, he read a statement in which he reaffirmed his position that he had done nothing wrong.
“To date, Mr President, I remain none-the-wiser as to what this investigation is all about. I don’t know why it was necessary for my public humiliation, nor do I know who decided that it was necessary for the media to accompany the police raid into my home.”
He still has not received any explanation as to why he was targeted in a meticulously coordinated campaign by right wing radio shock jocks, Australian media, AFP, ASIO as well as by supporters of Israel and has been highly disappointed by his own Labor Party for not coming to his support against these concerted attacks.
Mr Moselmane acknowledged the support of grass root members of the multicultural community throughout the traumatic last few months that took a toll on him personally and on his family. He specially thanked members of the Australian Chinese, Arabic and Pakistani communities for their strong support.
Mr Moselmane read a statement on Wednesday 11 November in the NSW Parliament regarding the execution of search warrants by AFP:
Yesterday the President read to the House a letter from the Australian Federal Police [AFP] concerning their investigation that has involved the execution of search warrants on my home and Parliament House office. Today I have some important information about those matters that I believe will be of interest to the House and to all honourable members. I take this opportunity to thank the Hon. Mark Latham for giving me his timeslot for this private member’s statement. From the moment that the search was undertaken at my home, I was informed by numerous Federal agents of the Australian Federal Police that I was not a suspect or in any way a person of interest with respect to the commission of any crime whatsoever.
My legal representative who attended the search that morning from 7.00 a.m. until 1.00 a.m. the next day was assured by several of the Federal agents in attendance that I was not a suspect. Recently the Australian Federal Police have released copies of recordings of conversations that were undertaken when the searches were executed at my home and my parliamentary office. In one of the transcripts of a conversation between me and the Australian Federal agent, the following appears:
So, in relation to the third condition, the allegations—it’s just stepped out. So, these are—as I said to you before, these aren’t allegations directed at you as a suspect, okay? They are allegations that are relevant to the investigation. However, information known to the investigation would suggest that there is potentially information at this location relevant to the investigation, and relevant to these allegations. So the allegations, which again are not directed at you, relate to this particular provision of the Criminal Code. And I appreciate you may not be familiar with that, in particular.
There further appears the following comments from the Federal agent:
That’s essentially the basic nature of the investigation, but … as I have reiterated to you a number of times, you are not considered a suspect in relation to this investigation.
There it is in black and white. At no time was I ever the subject of a warrant that asserts that I was an offender or a person of interest with respect to the commission of any crime whatsoever. The letter from the AFP’s Assistant Commissioner Mr Lee that was read onto the record by the President yesterday in this House refers to investigation of offences, being breaches of sections 92.3 (1) and 92.3 (2) of the Commonwealth Criminal Code 1995. Insofar as those offences are concerned, I continue to assert that I am not the focus of the investigation or in breach of any law. Further, Mr Lee described the determination of the privilege claim by the New South Wales Parliament as considered and appropriate. Finally, I thank my colleagues for their warmth in welcoming me back into this Chamber.