“Give glad tidings, and do not scare people away. Make things easy, and do not make things difficult” (Hadith: Abu Dawud).
The world is sometimes a very tough place to live in, with all the ups and downs in life it sometimes feels that we are in some sort of never-ending roller coaster ride.
There is so much going on around us, positive and negative, good or bad which can lead us to experience many different emotions ranging from happiness to sadness.
At times we take all the good things we have for granted and focus on being pessimistic, we forget whatever emotion or experience we are going through is temporary and we will eventually have to face something different.
Many people find it difficult to deal with emotions and let negativity overcome them, however as Muslims we should have a positive outlook all the time.
“Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well and that if they do wrong you will do wrong. But (instead) accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong if they do evil” (Hadith: Tirmidhi).
Let’s see how work towards a positive lifestyle:
- Your Company: Who you choose to spend your time with and the input you get from further away like the TV, the internet and magazines will have a huge effect on your outlook. Always watch good and positive stuff, keep friendships with positive minds.
- Salam and Shukr: Always initiate the salam (wish for peace), always be thankful to Allah (God). Islam as a religion does not support the idea of being depressed because it makes a person ungrateful which is a virtue furthest away from being a faithful and devout Muslim.
- Kill your Fears: Sometimes you may want to take a chance in life. Start a new habit that feels unfamiliar, your own business on the side. A common trap when you want to do one of those things is to get lost in vague fears and about what could happen if you actually took action and so the mind runs wild fueled by fear and it creates nightmare scenarios and plenty of self-doubts. Remember “Hoping for good is also an act of worship of Allah” (Hadith: Tirmidhi and Hakim).
- Be Positive for others: What you send out you tend to get back from the world and the people in it. So give value and spread the positivity by for example by Helping out. Lend a hand when moving. Give a friend a ride in your car. If he or she needs information then help out by checking it up on Google or asking a friend of yours.
- Boosting the mood: Give hugs when appropriate. Listen to the Quran when feeling down or help others when someone has had a bad day or are going through a tough time.
- Have faith: One of the most essential qualities of a Muslim should be to never give up. Be brave, be patient and have faith. You will face difficulties on every step and corner of life and all you need to do is to keep your head held high. Keep trying with the faith that there are better things in store for you and that with your will power and dedication will pull through. This means that you have not lost hope and are positive about achieving a task in the near future.