This issue continues the series exclusive to AMUST on the 99 divine attributes of Allah.
Read previous parts at
91. Ad-Darr – The Distresser
’Muhammad is not but a messenger. (Other) messengers have passed on before him. So if he was to die or be killed, would you turn back on your heels (to unbelieve) ? And he who turns back on his heels will never harm Allah at all; but Allah will reward the grateful.”1
’And it is not (possible) for one to die except by the permission of Allah at a decree determined. And whoever desires the thwab (reward of this world)- We will give him thereof2; and whoever desires the thwab (reward of the Hereafter) – We will give him thereof.3 And We will reward the shakireen (grateful’).4
’And how many a Prophet (fought and) with him fought many spiritual scholars but they never lost assurance due to what afflicted them in the cause of Allah, nor did they weakened or submit and Allah loves the (sabireen) steadfast.’5
”And their words were not but that they said, ‘Our Rabb, forgive us our sins and the access (committed) in our affairs and plant firmly our feet and gives us victory over the disbelieving people”
”So Allah gave them the reward of this world and the good reward of the Hereafter. And Allah loves the doer of good.”
- When rumour about the expiry of the Prophet (s) spread, many companions became discouraged. In such a situation the hypocrites (mixed with the believers) started to plan going to Abdullah Bin Ubayy to go together to Abu Sufiyan in order to take his custody. Some hypocrites started saying : ‘If Muhammad would have been Prophet of God, how would he be murdered? Let us return to our ancestors’ religions.’ As His response, here Allah is admonishing them that if your truthfulness is confined to the personality of a person Muhammad and if your Islam is based on such unstable foundation that you shall return back to blasphemy after Muhammad (s) leaves this world. Allah does not need such believers as you in the Islamic order.
- Through this expression, Allah aims to instil in the mind of the believers to consider their fleeing because of the fear of death. Neither anyone can die before the time destined for truthfulness nor one can live after one’s fixed time for death. Hence you should never care for saving yourself from death, neither should you care only for the period bestowed upon you about your real purpose and objective for your efforts and struggles – for worldly affairs or the Hereafter?
- The Arabic word thwab connotes for the outcome of one’s actions. The worldly threats refer to the advantages and gains a person attains only in this world’s life by virtue of his/her struggles and actions while the Hereafter thwab refer to the advantages and gains one receives in the definite established life in the Hereafter. From the Islamic viewpoint, the decision-taking question about human morality is whether the struggle and action carried on by a human being in this worldly-toiled life is based on his/her worldly achievements or the Hereafter attainments.
- The Arabic word ash-shakireen is termed for those who appreciate the worth of such bounties of Allah that they intimated about the unbounded word much more expansive than the present life. Allah makes them realise that the outcomes of human struggle and actions in this world are not limited rather it goes on influencing the next life in the Hereafter. Obtaining this broad vision and insight, the one who doesn’t limit the fulfilment and achievement in this world even sometimes yielding negative consequences still goes on working through his/her continuous activities struggling and depending upon Allah, then he/she is the thankful servant of Allah. Contrary to this, a person may still be captivated in the short-sightedness of worldliness who considers the main outcome of their wrong practice go on being indulged in the present success without paying heed to the bitter outcomes of the next world as well as not willing to spend their wealth and capabilities in the hope of the nice outcomes in the next world. Such persons are thankless and they are not appreciative of the worth of knowledge bestowed upon them by Allah.
- The Arabic word as-Sabireen are also the persons who never surrender to the revokes under the influence of the mischievous infidels and the blasphemous persons.
Continued in AMUST issue #135 February