This issue continues the series exclusive to AMUST on the 99 divine attributes of Allah.
Read previous parts at
77. Al-Wali – The Protecting Ruler
And [the believers among] those to whom We have given the [previous] Scripture rejoice at what has been revealed to you, [O Muhammad], but among the [opposing] factions are those who deny part of it. Say, “I have only been commanded to worship Allah and not associate [anything] with Him. To Him I invite, and to Him is my return.1
And thus We have revealed it as an Arabic legislation. And if you should follow their inclinations after what has come to you of knowledge, you would not have against Allah any ally or any protector.2
And We have already sent messengers before you and assigned to them wives and descendants. And it was not for a messenger to come with a sign except by permission to Allah . For every term is decree. 3
Allah blots out what He wills and confirms (what He wants)4 and with Him is the Mother of the Book. (Al-Lauh, Al-Mahfooz). 5
And whether We show you part of what We promise them or take you in death, upon you is only the [duty of] notifications and upon Us is the account. 6
- This is the response of the question raised by the opponents at this moment: if this fellow has bought the same divine message as per the previous messengers as he claims, then why don’t the followers of those messengers welcome him? In reply tell them: “Some of the followers are satisfied but some do not acknowledge and reject. So O’ Prophet! reply, ‘satisfied or angry, you informed them that Allah the Almighty has educated me and therefore I have to follow and convey His message to you.’ ”
- This is the response of another question of the opponents of Islam. They used to ask: “What kind of message is this that you have wives and family. The prophets are not indulged in sex therefore there is no question of wives or families for them”. The Quranic verses indicate the progeny of Abraham and Ishmael (s).
- This is also response of another challenge of the opponents that other messengers “performed” miracles. Moses was bestowed with the miracle of ‘Specter’ and the ‘Luminous Hand’. Jesus used to cure the deficiencies of blinds and lepers. Saleh directed others about the holy She-camel. What miracle have you bought to us? The reply is: “Whosoever messenger has demonstrated miracle, he has not done it by his own ability and capability. Whenever God determined to have a miracle demonstrated by a messenger, it was manifested accordingly by Him. If Allah wills for me to demonstrate any miracle, He shall definitely give it to me. Any messenger himself is not the claimant of any divine miracle that you are pressing me to demonstrate.”
- This is also response of another objection of the opponents they used to ask: “As the previous gospels are present, what is the necessity of a new divine document? You claim that the gospels have been modified and so there is a need of a new document. How can there be any modification of a divine document. Why did God not preserve it?
“Moreover, you claim that your message is divine document of the same God who had revealed Taurah and Bible before this one. But how is it that your instructions are against some of the directives in Taurah? For example what things are considered prohibited in Taurah you consider them permissible?”
The reply of these objections has been detailed in the messages cited in the coming chapters of Al-Quran. In this chapter, only short comprehensive responses are expressed.
- Ummul Kitab is the Preserved Slate, from which all the heavenly gospels have been revealed by Allah.
- Allah asserts that Prophet should not bother about the consequence from the comments of the people who have been rejecting his invitation and questioning for what and when does it occur. He should continue on his mission wholeheartedly that has been assigned to him and leave the decision to Allah. Apparently it seems an address to the Prophet but in reality it is meant for the opponents who used to challenge the Prophet for his continuous warnings that while these do not occur now.
78. Al- Mut‘al – The Most Exalted
And those who disbelieved say, “Why has a sign not been sent down to him from his Rabb?”1 You are only a warner, and for every people as a guide.2
Allah knows what every female carries and what the wombs lose [prematurely] or exceed. And everything with Him is by due measure.3
[He is] Knower of the unseen and the witnessed, the Grand, the Exalted.
It is the same [to Him] concerning you whether one conceals [his] speech or one publicizes it and whether one is hidden by night or conspicuous [among others] by day.4
For each one are angels in succession, before and behind him, who protect him by the decree of Allah. Indeed, Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves. And when Allah intends for a people ill, there is no repelling it. And there is not for them besides Him any protector. 5
- The opponents demanded for a token through which they can believe that Muhammad (s) is the Prophet of Allah. They were not willingly to be convinced through the arguments about the realities presented to them; they were also not willingly to be influenced by the noble virtuous life of the Prophet. They were not even prepared to apply the ethical revolution that was manifested through the new transformation of their people who embraced Islam due to the teachings and conducts of the Prophet. Moreover they did not accept logistic arguments presented in the Quran for pointing out the aberration of the Jahili (ignorant), superstitious and polytheistic practices. Leaving all these existing evidences, they were dependent on having some miracle that could be approved by them on the basis of which they could confirm the Prophethood of Muhammad (s).
- In the last portion of the verse 7, instead of addressing the opponents directly, Allah addressed his Prophet: “O’ Prophet don’t worry about what miracle should be demonstrated to you for presenting before them to convince them. Your task is not to convince every opponent. Your main function is to alert the carefree persons out of them and warn them of the consequence of their destiny because of their follies. This service We have assigned to the appointed prophets (guides) in every locality in every time. Now we are taking this service from you. So leave whoever wishes to open his eyes or whoever wishes to continue with the present negligence and carelessness.”
- After the short response, Allah warns them that they are not living in any obscure environment where a deficient administrator deals with the affairs rather they have to deal with the Almighty Allah who is well aware about each one of the humans when they had been fashioned in the wombs of their mothers and He has full watch of all of their each and every move. Hence, the decision about the destiny is carried by Him with pure justice according to their virtues and vices. There is no other power who can interfere in His decisions.
The growth of the limbs of each child and the deficiencies of it’s capability, disability and vigor all are directly looked after by Allah.
- The situation is not confined only up to this information that Allah is directly observing every human-being and is well aware of his or her movement and strategies. On the top of this it is also a fact that the watch-keepers appointed by Allah are assigned to each one of the humans to be called for all the affairs of each individual living in this world. The purpose of exposing this reality to these persons is to make them aware that they are not left as freelancers in this world. Rather they are answerable to Allah for their ideas and actions for reward or punishment due to their follies.
- “O Opponents: “Don’t have the misunderstanding that close to Allah there is some saint, stage, Jin or angel that can be bribed for excluding them from any punishment or recommending to Allah for any reward for their bad or good deeds.”
Continued in AMUST issue #127 June