Author: Dr Abul Jalaluddin

The Vision 2030: A Saudi Arabian blueprint for economic development

Saudi Arabia recently released the Vision 2030 to achieve economic diversification away from over dependence on oil.  In 2016, 93% of government budgeted revenue was from oil and the remaining 7% had a significant indirect contribution from the petroleum sector. This dependency on oil dates back to the discovery of black gold in 1938. The Vision was released against the backdrop of low oil prices pressuring Saudi budget. The current level of Saudi budget deficit is $100 billion, the biggest economic challenge over a decade. The Vision 2030 is an ambitious program for socio-economic development of Saudi Arabia. It...

Read More

Structure of Salary and Wage in Australia

Australian workforce enjoys one of the most sophisticated and complex remuneration structures in the developed World.  The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) finds 3 main ways of setting salaries and wages of employees: (i) Industrial Award, (ii) Enterprise Agreements and (iii) Individual Arrangements. Industrial Awards Industrial Awards are legally enforceable determinations which are mainly made by the federal Fair Work Commission. The Commission is responsible for setting the minimum pay and conditions for employees in a particular industry or occupation. Any employer paying less than the minimum wage specified in the relevant award is in breach of law and...

Read More

Rising Australian Dollar: Winners and Losers

The exchange rate of the Australian dollar is in constant fluctuation. A high demand for Australian dollar usually leads to a high exchange rate which creates winners and losers in the economy. Recently, Australian dollar soared above US80 cents, to a high of US80.66 cents. Historically, the Australian dollar appreciated an all-time high of US110 cents in July 2011 and a record low of US48 cents in April 2001. This recent rise has created economic advantages to overseas travellers, online shoppers purchasing goods and services from international merchants, domestic shoppers of imported goods at Australian retail outlets, importers and...

Read More

Who pays for $6.2 billion bank levy

From 1 July 2017, the largest 5 banks (Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Westpac Banking Corporation, National Australia Bank, ANZ and Macquarie Group Limited) will pay a levy of 0.06% on their client deposits, raising $6.2 billion over the next 4 years.  They will face up to $200 million in fines if they cover up misconduct by their executives. In addition, senior bank executives could be stripped of bonuses, deregistered or disqualified if they breach new accountability rules. Australian banks are the most profitable corporate entities in the World. Australian consumers pay higher fees and margins for bank products and...

Read More

Federal Budget 2017-18: How it affects you

The federal budget for 2017-18 was characterised by hitting banks with a new tax, a rise in Medicare levy and helping first home buyers. It forecasts an unemployment rate of 5.75%, economic growth rate of 2.75% and a deficit of $29.4 billion in 2017-18. It will raise $21 billion of new taxes over 4 years of budget cycle. The budget is projected to return to surplus of $7.4 billion in 2020-21. Bank Levy and Banking Executives From 1 July 2017, the largest 5 banks (Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Westpac Banking Corporation, National Australia Bank, ANZ and Macquarie Group Limited)...

Read More

Sydney:

Other News

november, 2017

22nov10:30 am- 1:30 pmLadies High Tea For Rohingya

23nov7:30 pm- 10:30 pmSounds of Light PerthCharity Concert

24nov6:30 pm- 9:30 pmSounds of Light AdelaideCharity Concert

25nov6:00 pm- 9:00 pmSounds of Light SydneyCharity Concert

26nov3:30 pm- 6:30 pmSounds of Light MelbourneCharity Concert

27nov7:00 pm- 10:00 pmSounds of Light BrisbaneCharity Concert

Signup To Our Newsletter

Signup To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive emails from AMUST.

You have successfully signed up!